Sunday, April 27, 2008

Heavy Load

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:29-30
When you think of how many burdens each of us carry around when living this life the world's way, it's hard to believe that more of us don't take advantage of this offer from Jesus. There are three primary points that I take from this verse. First, I think that it's interesting that the Lord emphasizes his meekness. I believe that he does this to reassure us that we are free to approach him even if we think that our problem or need is too small for the king of kings and lord of lords. Secondly, we learn that his yoke is easy. What is his yoke? It's his word and the teachings therein. The New Testament teachings are actually pretty easy to keep; we just don't like keeping them. Third and last, is the fact that we need to take an action to receive the fulfillment of this offer. The offer is freely made, but if we don't personally take his yoke, then we find ourselves still with our heavy worldly yoke.

No comments: