Friday, October 15, 2010

One week, one character

Tracked down a tricky error over the past week. No, I'm not that slow, but I had to get a whole new database sandbox created and populated and then fix my data source definition before I could even get to the point of investigating the problem. Once, the data was flowing into the program, I discovered that I had a broken domain object. I had had trouble getting anyone to be excited about me retro-fitting unit tests into the web application that I'm porting from WebSphere to JBoss and so I'd done a few (about three dozen) of what I thought were the main objects. Wouldn't you know that one of the ones not tested had an error in it! At my hourly billing rate, that's several thousand dollars tracking a problem that would not have existed if I had been free to unit test all of the domain objects. The fix? A single exclamation mark to reverse a wrong boolean statement.

No comments: